Sunday, March 25, 2012

The Clearing

When I feel quiet, when I feel blue
The world opens up and gives me a clue

Most times I can’t see the forest through the trees
They’re etched by the memories of red autumn leaves

They fell long ago, eroding into dirt
Now cake on my feet distract from the bud’s flirt

My sallow-hued eyes pass over the sky
And land upon the horizon’s constant lie

That a clearing is ahead, where dandelions bloom
And bears’ noses are tickled by the mockingbird’s plume

The shadows cast over the thin forest floor
Covering the stoned path that leads to the door

That is adorned by a wreath of pungent dogwood
Beckoning if I could follow my nose, I should

If only I would trust that beautiful stench
The clearing’s promise I would find in a cinch

Stumbling through the darkness I search for a scent
That might be the clue to the door for which I am meant

Alone we are born, alone we embrace death
We have only these days with each other to share our breath

No comments: